Friday, February 3, 2017

Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset Philosophy
February 3rd
Dear Families,
Thank you so much to those of you joined us to share in our learning this morning!  The kids had a wonderful time! Be sure to check out upcoming important dates at the bottom of this post.


File_001.jpegIn a follow up to my post on making mistakes I wanted to fill you in on our talks around growth mindset.  When a student has a growth mindset they believe that their accomplishments are a product of hard work and effort.  They work knowing that they have the power to achieve goals and learn new things.  They persevere when they get stuck and are willing to attack challenging problems as opposed to shying away from it.  The phrase “yet” can be added to a negative comment to change the perspective to one of progress.  For example, instead of saying “I don’t get this”, we say “I don’t get this yet” leaving room to continue working on it and mastering the learning.  


We have also talked about using replacement statements when we face challenges.  Check out some of the  phrases from our Change Your Words, Change Your Mindset board:


File_002.jpegThis is too hard.  I can do hard things.
I’ll never get it.  Challenges grow my brain so this will get easier.
I hate when I mess up.  I am resilient and learn from my mistakes.

At home you can support your student by praising their willingness to try, the effort they put in and their perseverance, not the grade they get.  Remind them that they are building neural connections any time they practice a skill or show persistence.



Upcoming dates:
Book orders:  Sent home today, please return (with check to Scholastic) or order online by Friday Feb. 10.


NAEP Test: Wednesday Feb 8th (after recess)

Early release day: Thursday Feb. 16th (12:45 release)

No comments:

Post a Comment